Mom & Dad

Mom & Dad

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Danger Gracie, Danger!


So, for the weekend we decided to all stay at Austin's hotel. It was opening weekend as well as having the Comedy show Friday night. We took all of the kids, packed just a few clothes, coloring books, and the xbox. The hotel is in Kemah, minutes from our house.

On Saturday, I took Gracie, Libby, and Madi down for a late breakfast. The other kids (and Austin) were still sleeping. Afterwards, I told the kids we had to run home (we'd left Austins bag with his change of clothes at the door in our rush to leave). Here comes the fun part....

Gracie says she wants to stay with Daddy, and lay down in the room. Ok, that's one less kid for me to tote around. Madi takes her up, gets her settled. I call Austin to give him a heads up that she wants to stay. All is well.

When we get back to the hotel, and as I come into the Lobby, we see Gracie sitting on the little settee, in front of the front desk chatting away with Ashlee- the girl working behind the front desk. There are a few people milling about the Lobby, and the occasional phone ringing. And my little girl, sitting all nice and pretty in her pajamas on the little couch in the middle.

I probably look pretty perplexed, but not near as much as the front desk girl. She's got this look on her face that was priceless. Sort of like, "they didn't train me for this, and do I call my boss and tell him his kid is down here, hanging out in the lobby?' Just priceless. And Grace is just jabbering away with her.

I ask Ashlee, 'why is Gracie down here? Where is Austin?'
She replies, "Ummmm...I don't know. She (Gracie) just came off the elevator about 30 minutes ago. She came and sat down and started telling me that her mom went to get her bathing suit. She's been talking to me all this time."

I guess Ashlee knew better than to let her roam, so she just kept her talking as she answered phones and checked in guests knowing she was better off sitting there in front of her.

You know I am just completely freaking out! I mean, here's this 4 year old little girl, cruising around Daddy's hotel in her jammies and talking with people. I found out later she headed to the restaurant/bar and had a little talk with one of the server's as well. He said he asked her, "where's your room?" And she said, "in my house, duh."

As we are headed up the elevator I ask Gracie how she got down to the Lobby; how did she know which number to push. She said the sweeper/cleaner lady helped her. (housekeeping)

I told her how dangerous it was to leave the room without a grownup and how she could've been stolen!
Her reply: "No Momma. Ashlee saved me. I not get stolen."

Ahhhh. Gracie. Crazy, completely fearless Gracie.

No comments:

Post a Comment